Whole Wheat Oatmeal Bread
Yield: 2 loaves (8.5″x4.5″ loaf pan)
2 cups Hot water
1/4 cup vegetable (canola) oil
1 1/3 cups rolled oats
1/3 cup sugar
2 Tbls Vital Wheat Gluten
2 tsp. Dough Enhancer
2 tsp Sea Salt
5-6 cups Freshly Milled Hard Wheat Flour
4 tsp SAF Instant Yeast
1. Measure ingredients into bowl, liquids first, then dry ingredients, but use only half the flour and add the yeast last, on top of flour.
2. Mix gently until the flour is moistened. Continue mixing, adding flour until the dough cleans the sides and bottom of the bowl.
3. Knead according machine.
4. Optional Rise of 15 minutes or more, or skip this step.
5. Dive dough into two portions.
6. Deflate the dough by slamming on counter or rolling out.
7. Shape into loaves and place in greased pans.
8. Rise uncovered about 25-30 minutes, until doubled or 1″ over pan.
9. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes, or until bread is 190 with meat thermometer. (I have a digital probe that plugs into my oven, so I can check my temp easily as it bakes.)
10. Remove from pan. Cool fifteen minutes before slicing.
I got this recipe from Lori Viets book, No More Bricks, Successful Whole Grain Bread. I am very pleased with my bread. Often, I don’t even use a full five cups of flour. I highly recommend this book. It is full of information about grains, baking procedures, recipes, etc, but easy to understand. Plus, I met the gal at the homeschool conference and she was great in person as well. She emails answers to my questions and shipped my order out immediately. It came the next day! How’s that for customer service?
Let me know if you make this bread. I really like adding the oats, so this is the reciped I use most often.